- My 50 Day Movie Challenge!
For those just tuning in, while browsing the internet, I’ve come across posts from other bloggers doing 20, or 30 day challenges all about movies, so I decided to mash up a bunch of those questions and came up with 50 that I’m going to attempt to answer consecutively over the next month and a half (or so). If you’d like to try and do it too, feel free! I’ll post all the questions as I go along, and I hope you enjoy my answers!
Day 14: What’s your favorite sports film?
Sports films are all about camaraderie and (often) humor. They are about people coming together for a goal, and I can’t think of many films that do it better than Remember the Titans.
This movie is based on real events from the life of African American football coach Herman Boone (played in the movie by the fantastic Denzel Washington) and follows him as he tries to introduce a racially diverse team at the T. C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Virginia in 1971. Obviously, not an easy task. The whole thing has a bookend narration done by the daughter of the assistant coach, Sheryl Yoast (played during the bulk of the story by a very young Hayden Panettiere). But most of the story is actually about the coming together of this team during a time when it wasn’t exactly safe to do so. Integration of schools sets the backdrop for the film, and you can really feel the charged atmosphere of the town. It’s pretty fantastic the way the team brings everyone together, how people of every age learn to put aside their differences.
I think one of the things that makes this film stand out for me–aside from that it was about high school kids, and was released to theaters during the time when I was also in high school–was the music. I LOVE the soundtrack to the film. It might be one of my all-time favorites, and it just makes me want to dance!
Here’s the Track List (both the ones on the official album, and others that are played but not included):
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Performed by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
- Spirit In The Sky – Performed by Norman Greenbaum
- Spill The Wine – Performed by Eric Burdon and War
- Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye – Performed by Steam
- House Of The Rising Sun – Performed by Frijid Pink
- Venus – Performed by Shocking Blue
- Fire and Rain – Performed by James Taylor
- I Heard It Through the Grapevine – Performed by Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Up Around the Bend – Performed by Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress) – Performed by The Hollies
- Peace Train – Performed by Cat Stevens
- Express Yourself – Performed by Charles Wright and The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
- Act Naturally – Performed by Buck Owens
- A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall – Performed by Leon Russell
- I Want to Take You Higher – Performed by Ike & Tina Turner (as Ike and Tina Turner)
- Superstar (Remember How You Got Where You Are) – Performed by The Temptations
- You’ve Got to Earn It – Performed by The Temptations
- Them Changes – Performed by Buddy Miles
- Time Has Come Today – Performed by The Chambers Brothers
- Amazing Grace – Performed by Soweto Gospel Choir
- The Way You Do the Things You Do – Performed by The Temptations
- Call On Me – Performed by Bobby Bland as Bobby “Blue” Bland
- Ain’t Too Proud To Beg – Performed by The Temptations
- No Surrender – Performed by Chris Goulstone
- Quiet Home – Performed by The Sea Shells
Even the Titans themselves want to dance to this stuff!! lol! But I think the music really helped to show off the spirit of the film. I love it, can’t get enough!
And now, Day 14 is done!